Pages

Fabric Dollhouse

Fabric House

Hey crafty pals!  I wanted to pop in to share my latest sewing project--a fabric dollhouse for my little gal!  What fun it was to create, too.  I don't sew as much as I'd like to (primarily because it's SO much easier to just grab a ball of yarn and a crochet hook and watch Downton Abbey mindlessly) but I enjoy it every time I pop up the ol' Singer.

This is a project from UK Lass in the US, and what a fun one it is.  UK Lass even has a fun flickr group to check out for fabric dollhouse inspiration.  You have the ability to make it super simple or get super-fancy--whatever you have the time/skill/energy/supplies for.  What fun!  (Warning, once you look at the Flickr group you WILL want to make one!)

Interior of Fabric House

I used stiff felt from my stash for all of the windows.  The little framed decorations you see on the inner walls are paper scrapbooking embellishments that I used a heavy duty no-sew iron-on adhesive to attach.  It worked like a charm--this little house is over a month old and has been played with a lot and they're still just as strong as the first day I attached them.

The outer woodgrain fabric was the only fabric I purchased specifically for this project.  Really, I could have just used scraps that I had on hand, but I wanted a certain "look" so I bought a small remnant of this fabric on Etsy. The fabric is a Joel Dewberry design called Aviary 2 Woodgrain in Bark and was purchased from Etsy seller HB Fabrics (I highly recommend the seller).


Fabric house collage

The rest of the fabric used was scraps leftover from other various projects.  I know I have already said it, but I had so much fun designing this little house.  It kind of made me feel like a kid again.

Messiest seamstress

Remember how I said that it's easier to grab a ball of yarn and a crochet hook than it is to pull out all the sewing stuff?  It's partly my own fault because I'm so very messy.  I just can't be a neat and organized crafter, no matter what I do.

April 2012 Crafts 005

I made some small errors (some fixable, some not) but overall, I'm not complaining because this project ended with a HAPPY child.  Seriously happy.

I'd estimate that this project took about 6 hours to complete (mistakes included).  So yeah, no plans for making another any time soon.   You've probably noticed that I'm way more into the hour-or-less category of projects.  A girl's gotta sleep sometime, you know?  

So, are you putting this project on your "to-make" list?

P.S. 9 weeks or so until baby Bennett is expected to arrive... The countdown begins!

9 comments:

  1. That's such a clever idea, and your dollhouse is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful! Makes me wish there was a little girl in my family, so I could make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this on my wish-list of things to make for awhile. Guess its time to bust out the machine and get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky girl! Since I only have boys, I don't often have a chance to do a girly project. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard for boy crafty presents.

      We need to find a blog dedicated to boy crafts!!!

      Delete
  5. This is so beautiful.

    I would love to be a little girl again
    ...and have one of these

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fabulous! I bet your little girl is over the moon

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dollhouse is dreamy, but your little girl is TOO CUTE!! The near-squeal grin and the arms held tight, like she is so happy she might BURST. Great job, mom.

    ReplyDelete

We cherish your questions, comments, and love. If you're not a fan, why not find something you do love and leave some love there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...